Journal of
Veterinary Medicine and Animal Health

  • Abbreviation: J. Vet. Med. Anim. Health
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2141-2529
  • DOI: 10.5897/JVMAH
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 318

Full Length Research Paper

Prevalence, financial impact and public health significance of Cysticercus bovis at Bahir Dar Municipal Abattoir, Ethiopia

Birhanu Tamirat
  • Birhanu Tamirat
  • College of Veterinary Medicine, Mekelle University, Mekelle, Ethiopia. P. O. Box 2084, Ethiopia.
  • Google Scholar
Habtamu Tamirat
  • Habtamu Tamirat
  • College of Veterinary Medicine, Mekelle University, Mekelle, Ethiopia. P. O. Box 2084, Ethiopia.
  • Google Scholar
Mu-uz Gebru
  • Mu-uz Gebru
  • College of Agriculture and Environmental Science, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
  • Google Scholar


  •  Received: 28 September 2017
  •  Accepted: 01 November 2017
  •  Published: 31 January 2018

Abstract

A cross-sectional study was conducted from November 2016 to April 2017 to determine the prevalence of cysticercosis, asses the associated risk factors and public health importance of human taniasis at Bahir Dar municipal abattoir, Bahir Dar town. Active abattoir survey from local zebu cattle presented to Bahir Dar abattoir and questionnaire surveys data collected were analyzed using SPSS version 20. Out of 480 inspected animals, 20 animals had varying number of Cysticercus bovis with prevalence of 4.2% (20/480). Cyst distribution per organs were; tongue 12/20 (2.5%), shoulder 10/20 (2.08%), masseter muscle 7/20 (1.46%), heart 4/20 (0.8%) and liver 1/20(0.21%). From the total number of 119 C. bovis collected from the infected 20 cattle during the study period, 73 (61.3%) were found to be alive while the rest 46 (38.7%) were degenerative cysts. Cysticercosis prevalence showed that there was no statistically difference among age groups and body condition score with the occurrence of C. bovis (p>0.05). Of the total 69 interviewed respondents, 30.4% (21/69) had contracted Taenia saginata infection. The prevalence of taeniosis showed significant difference (p<0.05) with age groups, habit of raw meat consumption, toilet availability, sex and religion. However, there was no significance difference between marital status, educational level, knowledge of taeniasis and occupational risks (p>0.05). The findings of this study indicated the importance of bovine cysticercosis and taeniosis in the study area. Therefore, attention should be given to the public awareness and routine meat inspection to be safe to public health and promote meat industry in the country

Key words: Abattoir, Bahir dar, Cysticercus bovis, prevalence, public health.